4.0 HP Extension Spring

Support forum for our first kit: the PlyFly go-kart
ToddL

4.0 HP Extension Spring

Post by ToddL » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:40 pm

I'm trying to attach the extension spring to the throttle assembly and the hole is on the opposite side. Do I need to drill my own? Am I missing something? Shouldn't the hole be on the opposite side of the green cable?
image.jpg
Hole should be on the left, opposite green cable
image.jpg (258.46 KiB) Viewed 1545 times

Dave

Re: 4.0 HP Extension Spring

Post by Dave » Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:41 pm

Todd, that is one way to run the cable, but not the way we had intended. While this method is technically correct, we have run our cables through the small hole on the throttle assembly, and used the large hole for the spring.
Dave
Flatworks Engineer

ToddL

Post by ToddL » Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:22 am

OK, thanks Dave. In order to use the large hole, you removed the existing clamp assembly, right? From underneath, it appears there's a retaining ring holding the hex piece in place. I looked at doing what you said, but I didn't like kinking the cable through the hole as it appears to be a wear-point over time.
Anyway, we were a bit anxious to get this kart moving, so I drilled a new hole in the assembly. Sorry, I didn't take an actual picture, but you get an idea of what I did here.
GREAT FUN!!!
throttle assembly new spring hole.jpg
throttle assembly new spring hole.jpg (270.34 KiB) Viewed 1530 times

Dave

Post by Dave » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:53 pm

Great, glad you got it figured out! Are you saying the cable clamp was already on the engine when you got it? We don't open the engine boxes in our shop, and that was not the case on previous orders.
Dave
Flatworks Engineer

jgerstemeier

Post by jgerstemeier » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:09 pm

Glad to see this post. I was having some trouble with the throttle linkage assembly myself. Could anyone submit a few more pics like ToddL's Showing the complete assembly with the spring attached? The pics in the manual are a little unclear. Also, the throttle lever itself seems pretty stiff. Is it supposed to be loosened?

Dave

Post by Dave » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:48 pm

Yes, if the throttle linkage is stiff, loosen up the nut holding in on, just enough so that it can return freely.
Dave
Flatworks Engineer