Engine pull cord stuck

Support forum for our first kit: the PlyFly go-kart
jgerstemeier

Engine pull cord stuck

Post by jgerstemeier » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:09 pm

In the home stretch of putting our kit together preliminary to ordering like 3 more to build a high-school physics/design/civics class around. Working on throttle linkage and brakes. Had to do a substantial amount of finagling with brakes which required that we take the wheels on and off goof around with the brake pad and the axle, etc... got everything back together and attached sprockets and chain. Gave the pull cord a few test pulls with wheels sprockets and axle all correctly assembled and tightened down and the cord unspools about 12-16 inches and then sticks completely. Feels like something is jammed inside. What's the dealy-yo? Here's hoping this is an easy fix. Could it be that an errant nut or bolt could have slid down past the manifold and gotten lodges somewhere in the pull cord housing? should I...
1. Take the cord housing off and eyeball the situation?
2. Turn the whole cart over and shake vigorously in case something is lodged inside?

Dave

Re: Engine pull cord stuck

Post by Dave » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:17 pm

Hmmm. Not sure what that could be. We have not experienced that. Does it stop at the same distance every time, or is it random? It might be worth pulling off the cover to take a look. The pull cord should extend about 3 feet.
Dave
Flatworks Engineer

jgerstemeier

Post by jgerstemeier » Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:22 pm

Cord comes out about 12-16 inches.
Feels like there's something jammed.
I can use a wrench on the bolt that holds the clutch hub to rotate the engine backwards and forwards but only ever to the limit I noted above.

jgerstemeier

Post by jgerstemeier » Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:30 pm

Gonna take the cover plate over the pull cord off and take a look.

jgerstemeier

Post by jgerstemeier » Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:40 pm

Turns out while we were goofing around with the throttle linkage a bolt fell down into the pull cord reel. All good now.