Seat mounting holes

Support forum for our first kit: the PlyFly go-kart
DustyGeek

Seat mounting holes

Post by DustyGeek » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:16 am

So, I figured out pretty early that the seat didn't have the hole for the locking pin and drilled it once the frame was together enough to mark the hole via the frame holes while the seat was notched into the frame. I drilled the hole and all was well ... until my kids starting driving it. The pin kept falling out while they were riding, so I decided to make a few mods so the seat would stay put. It turns out the seat was jiggling enough to make the pin work loose, then the seat would fall back and hit the motor.
  • I made a hole location jig by using a scrap piece of wood and drilling through it while it was aligned to the bottom and front of the right seat frame
  • I drilled a hole in the left seat side using the jig
  • Then I moved the seat to each position and drilled through the left frame
  • I then enlarged all of the holes going through the frame so they would accept a T-nut
  • I had some small knobs, some 1/4-20 threaded rod and some nylon lock nuts that I used to construct some threaded knobs
The seat is now tightly held in on both sides and should have no way to jiggle free. It's not as easily adjustable, but all four kids that will be using the kart can use the seat in that position.

The jig I used for hole placement
The knobs I made up from spare parts. I may replace these with actual thumb screws later
Seat Installed
Plyfly #41